Town Clerk/Tax Collector

Hours  of Operation

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm

Town Clerk’s Office Closed on Tuesday

The Office of Town Clerk is the central processing center for record keeping and administrative duties for the Town. Every Town is required to have a Town Clerk (Town Law, §20). Some of the more noticeable duties include issuance of licenses, permits and vital statistic records. The Clerk serves as the recording secretary during Town Board Meetings and is responsible for the proper filings to NYS.

The Batavia Town Clerk also serves as Tax Collector for the Town/County Taxes.

Jennifer Zambito
Town Clerk/Tax Collector

585.343.1729 x 203

Kimberly Keeler                             Danyell Merritt
Deputy Town Clerk                               Deputy Town Clerk

585-343-1729 x 210                               585.343.1729 x227

Mary Cordes
Reproduction Service Operator

Angelica Dickson-Griffin
Reproductions Service Operator

585-343-1729 x 237

Services Provided by the Town


Dog License

Any dog age 4 months or older must have a license. The dog owner must provide proof of rabies and proof of altering (if applicable).

Original license may be applied for by coming in person with documents or mailing in documents with payment. Your dog license is renewable once a year during the anniversary month of the initial registration of your dog. The subsequent renewal forms are sent annually from the Town of Batavia to the address of record for the owner by the first day of the month that the license is due. You can renew the license anytime within the month that it is due. These can be processed in person, *online , use of Town drop box or via mail.  *an online convenience fee will apply. If the rabies certificate is not current, the license cannot be renewed online.


Dog License Fees

    • $10.00 – altered
    • $22.00 – unaltered
    • $5.00 – replacement tag
    • $10.00 – late renewal fee
    • $40.00 – purebred license (up to 10 dogs plus the applicable NYS Animal Population Fund Surcharge)
    • $80.00 – purebred license (11 to 25 dogs plus the applicable NYS Animal Population Fund Surcharge)
    • $120.00 – purebred license (26 to 100 dogs plus the applicable NYS Animal Population Fund Surcharge)

Fees for Senior Citizens (65 and older)

      • $8.50 – altered
      • $15.50 – unaltered

Fishing License

Any person 16 years or older must obtain a fishing license. A New York State driver’s license is needed to prove residency. Licenses are valid for one year.

NYS Department of Conservation for Fees

Hunting License

License year -September 1 through August 31

Training required

Hunting – small game, big game, muzzle loading requires a previous hunting license or hunter education certificate.

Trapping – trapping or junior trapping requires a previous trapping license or trapper education course.

Bow hunting – bow hunting or junior archery requires both hunting (see above) and bow hunting training.

Conservation Licenses – The fees for these licenses are set by New York State and vary depending on the particular license purchased. To obtain a resident hunting license, one must supply proof of hunter education and New York residency and pay the appropriate fee. Proof of residency is required

Residency Requirements

  1. NYS Residents are entitled to junior trapping, senior or individual resident licenses.
  2. Non-residents can purchase only non-resident licenses, except for junior archery and junior hunting licenses.
  3. Junior archery and junior hunting provide the same privilege at the same price to both residents and non-residents.

NYS Department of Conservation Fees 

Marriage License

A couple must apply together, in person with one of:
(Age related document)

  • Birth Certificate with Raised Seal
  • Baptismal record
  • Naturalization record

AND one of the following:
(Identity related document, with your signature on it)

  • Driver’s license
  • Passport
  • Employment picture ID
  • Immigration record

If this is not your first marriage, you must also supply a certified copy of a death certificate if the marriage ended due to death or a certified copy of the divorce decree of certification or dissolution of marriage.

Fees and Requirements

  • 24 hour waiting period
  • License is valid for 60 days beginning the day after it is issued
  • $40.00 license fee
  • $10.00 for certified copy of license

These requirements are per the NYS Department of Health, Vital Records Section.

Please contact the Clerk’s office to make an appointment to obtain your marriage license.

Peddlers/Soliciting License

A solicitors license is required for any person within the town jurisdiction acting as a peddler, vendor or solicitor.

Application Requirements and Fees

Games of Chance, Bingo, Bell Jar and Raffles

License required for organizations operating games. You must first apply to New York State for a license number. For more information and forms, visit: New York State Racing and Wagering


Town & County Tax Payment Instructions

January 1 – January 31:
Pay total amount of tax bill to Teressa M. Morasco, Collector 3833 West Main St. Rd. Batavia NY 14020.

February 1 – March 31:
Pay total tax amount plus interest to Teressa M. Morasco, Collector 3833 West Main St. Rd. Batavia NY 14020.

After March 31:
Pay total plus interest to Genesee County Treasurer, County Building #1, 15 Main St. Batavia NY 14020.

At the end of December the Town/County tax bills are mailed out. For property owners whose taxes are in escrow, bills may be forwarded directly to appropriate lending institutions

Payment schedule information is contained on each bill. Payments may be made via mail, drop box located at the Batavia Town Hall, *online or in person at the Town Clerk/Tax Collectors Office in the Town Hall during regular business hours *an online convenience fee will apply.


Handicapped Parking Permit

This form must be filled out by the physician and his/her signature must appear on the application. Length of time the permit is needed is also provided by the physician.

An applicant can obtain a temporary or permanent parking permit as indicated by the physician. No fee is involved. One permit is issued per person. Please bring in with you, your NYS Driver’s License or Non-Driver’s ID Card.

Handicapped Parking Permits must be applied for in the Township you reside.

Handicap Permit Application

Fill Permits

A Fill Permit is needed to dump fill on property. Completed application must be submitted to the Town Clerk, 3833 West Main Street Road, Batavia, New York.

$100 fee

Fill Permit Fee Instructions and Application

Building Permits

Freedom of Information Law

The Freedom of Information Law provides rights of access to records reflective of governmental decisions and policies that affect the lives of every New Yorker. However an agency does not have to create a new document in order to provide the individual the requested information.

A Records Access application is filled out by the individual requesting the information. If possible you should supply dates, titles, file designations, or any other information that will help find the requested records.

Within 5 business days of the receipt of written request for a record reasonable described, the agency must make the record available, deny access in writing giving the reasons for denial, or furnish the written acknowledgement of receipt of the request and a statement of the approximate date when the request will be granted or denied.

Copies – $0.25 per page. If electronically available, documents may be emailed at no cost.

A fee for copy of other records may be charged based upon the actual cost of reproduction.

Requesting and Obtaining Records via Email

The Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) (NYS Public Officers Law, Sec. 87, Article 6) assures the public’s right to obtain government documents and records. FOIL requests must be in writing and must contain the date, a clear description of the information being requested, the requestor’s name and mailing address, and the number of copies requested.


FOIL requests may be e-mailed: or USPS mail or hand-delivered to:
Town of Batavia
Town Clerk
3833 West Main Street Road
Batavia, New York 14020